A Meal Not Worth Skipping
I certainly never thought that I would be posting recipes when I first created my blog (and it was less than a month ago too), but here’s a simple and quick last-minute lunch/dinner idea. I’m no professional chef, nor am I an experienced cook, but I thought that I could be of help to anyone who has a tight schedule and is trying to eat healthier. Chances are, if you’re reading this, you’re probably always busy and may often be tempted to skip meals or order takeout. As a university student, I’ve been there too. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, perfect for the health-conscious, and can easily be modified to accommodate whatever ingredients you have on hand. Did I also mention that it’s very filling and absolutely delicious?
I’m trying to keep this post short and sweet, so I’ll stop there and get on with the recipe.
Ingredients: (makes enough for 1 person)
I usually just eyeball the measurements, so these are just approximations.
- 1/2 cup quinoa grains (2 parts water for every 1 part quinoa)
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves (modify as you see fit)
- 2/3 cup diced mushrooms
- olive oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- walnuts for garnish (or substitute almonds, pine nuts, whatever you fancy)
- Add one cup of water to your pot, along with the quinoa and some salt. Bring to boil. Make sure not to stir the quinoa as it will cook unevenly if you do so.Cover the quinoa and let it simmer for around 10 minutes or until the grains have soaked up the majority of the water.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice up the mushrooms.
- Drain the remaining water that the quinoa has not soaked up. Transfer the quinoa into a bowl. It should not be mushy, but have a fluffy texture. If you want to add some cheese, sprinkle it on top the quinoa now. The heat of the quinoa will melt it.
- Drizzle some olive oil in the same pot and add in the spinach and diced mushrooms. Season with pepper as needed. Stir around to cook until all the spinach has wilted.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms on top of the quinoa.
- Garnish with crushed walnuts (or any kind of nuts you fancy) and you’re done!
Hope you enjoyed this quick and easy 20-minute recipe and that it helps you out! Stay tuned for my next post coming to you soon!